Setting the clock

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 26 15:55:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 09:00 -0600, Bill Gradwohl wrote:
> Ludwig Goon wrote:
>
> > There was a trick with redhat 9 to set the clock such that it wouldn't
> > interfere with
> > windows' clock when I dual booted. Does anyone know of the command ?
> >

> > -lg
> >
> If you just use the date command, that does not touch the hardware
> clock. Its the hardware clock that provides date & time at boot up.
>
> --
> Bill Gradwohl
> bill at ycc.com
> http://www.ycc.com
> spamSTOMPER Protected email

hwclock is the utility to set the hardware clock from the system
(software) clock.  Both windows and Linux read the H/W clock at boot up
and if you set up a NTP server at Fedora installation it will go out and
reset your software clock (within limits) at boot up.  Fedora also saves
your software clock to the H/W clock at shutdown.  You would have to
edit /etc/init.d/halt to stop the synchronization.

Bob...