OT -- > GMail and Reply-To: Advice

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbservices.com
Sat Feb 26 17:18:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 09:09 -0500, M.Rudra wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:54:36 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> <pmbuc at pmbservices.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 18:59 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> >
> > >  - do you know of a way to change the default reply so it
> > > doesn't set the cursor up to top post?
> >
> > Nope. That appears to be a hard coded aspect of their Web client.
> > It wouldn't be a bad idea to send some feedback to Google about the
> > "Reply-To:" field and top posting. The more that complain about what's
> > missing or wrong, the greater the chance of seeing change. It's "Beta",
> > after all. :0)
>
> i sent them feedback last May/June but to date they have not changed.
> The sig at the bottom with the top-posting feature is most
> frustrating.

It is, but...for a free Web account that offers a Gigabyte of storage
space...how much should we expect for gratis? Getting around the "Reply-
To:" field problem alleviates a real nuisance that one couldn't manually
edit out of an email before posting to a list. Top posting can be
manually overcome while creating a post to the list. Automated
signatures are created by many of us, and even automatically by most
lists. Both of these can be edited out of a list reply by the poster to
cut on bandwidth and repetitive minutia. I think that no matter how you
try to minimize the minutia, though, there will always be some we will
have to manually remove as is appropriate.

As for Google replying back to suggestions we have made, I wouldn't
assume that our comments go unnoticed because we don't receive a reply.
The wheels of progress are slow to turn. Unless you are inside on the
action, it's hard to know where their priorities lie and the time table
they are working with to take this out of beta.

Paul