OT -- > GMail and Reply-To: Advice

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 17:36:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:18:34 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
<pmbuc at pmbservices.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 09:09 -0500, M.Rudra wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:54:36 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> > <pmbuc at pmbservices.com> wrote:

> > > Nope. That appears to be a hard coded aspect of their Web client.
> > > It wouldn't be a bad idea to send some feedback to Google about the
> > > "Reply-To:" field and top posting. The more that complain about what's
> > > missing or wrong, the greater the chance of seeing change. It's "Beta",
> > > after all. :0)
> >
> > i sent them feedback last May/June but to date they have not changed.
> > The sig at the bottom with the top-posting feature is most
> > frustrating.
>
> It is, but...for a free Web account that offers a Gigabyte of storage
> space...how much should we expect for gratis? Getting around the "Reply-
> To:" field problem alleviates a real nuisance that one couldn't manually
> edit out of an email before posting to a list. Top posting can be
> manually overcome while creating a post to the list. Automated
> signatures are created by many of us, and even automatically by most
> lists. Both of these can be edited out of a list reply by the poster to
> cut on bandwidth and repetitive minutia. I think that no matter how you
> try to minimize the minutia, though, there will always be some we will
> have to manually remove as is appropriate.
>
> As for Google replying back to suggestions we have made, I wouldn't
> assume that our comments go unnoticed because we don't receive a reply.
> The wheels of progress are slow to turn. Unless you are inside on the
> action, it's hard to know where their priorities lie and the time table
> they are working with to take this out of beta.

You are rigth. I couldn't expect anything more. After all, I had a
Hotmail account before, and I know what it is to try to ask them
questions... :-)

It's just that I did send some suggestions that (of course) I thought
would be pretty cool, and was kinda hoping for some feedback, at least
to know what they thoughtof them. But anyway, maybe it's just my ego
wanting a massage...

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680