can only login as root

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Feb 26 18:27:13 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 26.02.2005 schrieb sean darcy um 18:31:

> I'm running fc3 - with the released updates. I have two user accounts -
> system and mythtv. For both of them, when I login - init 3 - I just get
> returned to the login prompt.  No error message about the password.  I can
> login as root.
>
> /var/log/messages shows:
> session opened for  user mythtv by LOGIN(uid=0)
>
> same for system ( also for root).
>
> I've rest the passwords for both users - though that doesn't seem to be the
> problem anyhow.
>
> If I do login as root, I can't su to a user and startx because I don't "own"
> the console.
>
> sean

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/authconfig

USECRACKLIB=yes
USEDB=no
USEHESIOD=no
USELDAP=no
USENIS=no
USEPASSWDQC=no
USEWINBIND=no
USEKERBEROS=no
USELDAPAUTH=no
USEMD5=yes
USESHADOW=yes
USESMBAUTH=no

Be sure you have only set to "yes" those things you really support in
your environment. Instead of editing the authconfig file you can/should
run "system-config-authentication".

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 19:25:19 up 5 days, 6:34, load average: 0.86, 0.49, 0.36