List Rules

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sat Feb 26 18:33:46 UTC 2005

> First is that you probably shouldn't
> call it "List Rules". It might be better to call it "Suggestions to ensure
> the
> widest readership of your question or problem." This gets the goal across
> nicely.

Amen - when I saw the subject "List Rules," it actually got my back up a
bit.  This is a community.  It is certainly nice for people to be aware of
and try to follow the community standards of behavior.  However, calling
them "rules" implies that there is a firm structure in place.  Usually there
are punitive consequences for breaking "rules."  Anyone who claims to be the
arbiter of, or the enforcer of "the rules" seems to me to be claiming
authority that (s)he simply doesn't have.

I would certainly strive to follow the community standards, and I have no
problems gently (preferably off list) pointing a community newcomer to a
list of community preferences.  But someone who pops off about violating
"the rules" is likely to get an earful from me.

Thomas