List Rules

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 26 22:59:33 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> I hate to see someone repelled by a particular neverending thread. I can
> understand why the subject is repelling listers from contributing, since
> it floods their mailboxes and distracts from concentrating on asking for
> help or trying to give help related to Fedora usage or overcoming
> problems with current public releases.
>
> Now back to our program.

Jim:

You are so right, but a ton of bandwidth has been wasted trying to
enforce 'rules' that are not stated.  All I want is to get a good set of
community driven guidelines that state how we should interrelate in the
list. I was 'pounded' by folks that insisted that I 'bottom post' when I
belong to three professional lists that insist on the opposite.  When I
was confronted with this, I asked where this was "in writing".  The
replies I got were, this is custom but is not a written rule.  So, I
decided, as an ex-FidoNet list moderator, to take on the task of putting
our community guidelines in writing and present them to our Red Hat
benefactors so that folks who are new to the list integrate quickly.
Also, I have lived in several foreign countries where failure to follow
the customs of that country could result at a minimum in a very public
tongue lashing to spending time in prison (it is against the law to tip
a taxi driver in Japan.)

In any case, the ultimate goal is to not have to publish the guidelines
but to have Red Hat do this.  And guidelines are changeable based upon
the consensus of the group.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2