List Rules

Hacksaw hacksaw at hacksaw.org
Sat Feb 26 23:18:16 UTC 2005

Rob <ehodgins at telusplanet.net> says:

>Isn't that a bit of an extreme reaction?

Ever had someone impose a rule on you with no explanation? Like a parent or a
teacher?

>> them "rules" implies that there is a firm structure in place.
>"Rules" implies no such thing!

Yes, they do.

>regulations set up by authority

The literal definition of the word "rules" isn't the cause of the reaction
here. It's the personal reality that causes it. If you perceive authority as
arbitrary or capricious, you will certainly be upset by someone attempting to
impose rules on you.

In fact, one should question every "rule" or guideline put forth by anyone,
within the bounds of the situation.

And it is for precisely this reaction that I suggested a new title. "Rules"
and Regulations" are a double edged sword. They certainly can help smooth the
way, but they certainly can be abused. And have been throughout history. They
are, therefore, loaded words.

>2. [n]  the power or right to give orders or make decisions

Power corrupts.

To be sure, I understand the benefit of standards. But we must be mindful of
reality, and try to not use words that stop our message from being heard. Yes,
that can go too far, which is why we must also allow for discussions like this.

--
The universe is not only stranger than we (can) imagine,
it's stranger than we CARE to imagine!