Strange problem with KDE/X/Totem

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 02:24:52 UTC 2005

Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i start my computer and logs in to kde, everything is fine, and I
> can switch to consoles (alt+ctl+f2 etc.)
>
> If I then try to start totem, or try to acces streaming video in firefox
> (with mplayer) or similar, kde logs out, and i need to login again. Now
> after the login it is not possile to go to the consoles. When i try the
> screen freezes until i go back to kde.
>
> Also, when i try to shutdown after this I can see a title bar of a
> window with Totem... as the heading. (I cannot se the normal shutdown,
> (the messages when it shuts down things)
>
> Computer: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A7600
> Videocard ATI Radeon M320 (Detected and setup as Ati Mobility U1)
> Kernel 2.6.9-1.667 (since the no. .10 kernel hangs at boot)
> Have booted with ACPI=off  noapic
>
> [tortho at localhost ~]$ /sbin/lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc AGP Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 13)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 01)
> 00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
> 00:03.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97 Modem Controller
> 00:04.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
> 00:06.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
> 00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
> 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link
> Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
> 00:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
> Controller (rev 46)
> 00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1420 Cardbus Controller
> (rev 01)
> 00:0b.1 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1420 Cardbus Controller
> (rev 01)
> 00:0f.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1
>
> THT

At least you are able to change back to X and run KDE. With a similar
card type. I can change from GNOME to a terminal, use the terminal. My
problem happens when I change back to the GUI, the upper portion of the
screen has residual information. The residual display takes up about the
same screen real estate as is occupied by the upper GNOME panel. I need
to power off uncleanly in order to escape the resulting lockup.

I run in runlevel 3. Are you starting in graphics mode or to initial
terminals? My question is mainly so I can figure which component is most
likely causing the malfunction. With you running KDE and having locked
terminals, but could return to KDE and I can exit from Gnome to
terminal, but not return successfully to the GUI are sort of opposite
symptoms for users of similar video cards.

I don't have the problem with totem though as you described.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1

Jim

--
We are experiencing system trouble -- do not adjust your terminal.