Problem origin identification

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 03:01:45 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:
> A question for the more experienced and expert fedora users.
>
> I have encountered several minor, but somewhat unconvenient (sometimes
> irritating), problems while running FC2.  Some of them surfaced on first
> boot after installation.  Others surfaced later as I broadened use of
> the system.  In several instances, the problems appeared to lessen or
> disappear with kernel and other upgrades.  On occasion, critical
> failures occured promptly following some updates as with initial
> installation of kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2.
>
> While my system froze up twice in succession shortly after introduction
> of the .14 kernel, I am more and more suspicious that Gnome and/or its
> sound applications are contributing factors if not the outright cause of
> those freezeups.  There is also some basis for suspecting X.org.
>
> Some guidance on how best to pinpoint the source(s) of system freezeups
> would be helpful.

I'm guessing that you have a computer that has an Intel 865G video card,
   I however have no idea without knowing what hardware is utilized on
your computer. If you do happen to have the Intel 865G video card, FC2
crashed randomly for me also. Even FC3 install worked better than FC2
did and the lockups were no longer present with FC3.

Enough of that, my guess is probably far fetched, but upgrading to FC3
might be your answer to get rid of the lockups.

Good luck,

Jim

--
A Los Angeles judge ruled that "a citizen may snore with immunity in
his own home, even though he may be in possession of unusual and