Strange problem with KDE/X/Totem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Feb 27 03:06:22 UTC 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 21:24, Jim Cornette wrote:
>Tor Harald Thorland wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When i start my computer and logs in to kde, everything is fine,
>> and I can switch to consoles (alt+ctl+f2 etc.)
>>
>> If I then try to start totem, or try to acces streaming video in
>> firefox (with mplayer) or similar, kde logs out, and i need to
>> login again. Now after the login it is not possile to go to the
>> consoles. When i try the screen freezes until i go back to kde.
>>
>> Also, when i try to shutdown after this I can see a title bar of a
>> window with Totem... as the heading. (I cannot se the normal
>> shutdown, (the messages when it shuts down things)
>>
>> Computer: Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A7600
>> Videocard ATI Radeon M320 (Detected and setup as Ati Mobility U1)
>> Kernel 2.6.9-1.667 (since the no. .10 kernel hangs at boot)
>> Have booted with ACPI=off  noapic
>>
>> [tortho at localhost ~]$ /sbin/lspci
>> 00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc AGP Bridge [IGP 320M]
>> (rev 13) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP
>> 320M] (rev 01) 00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1
>> Controller (rev 03) 00:03.0 Modem: ALi Corporation M5457 AC'97
>> Modem Controller 00:04.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE
>> (rev c4) 00:06.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management
>> Controller [PMU] 00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to
>> ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV] 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi
>> Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
>> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>> 00:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394
>> Host Controller (rev 46)
>> 00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1420 Cardbus
>> Controller (rev 01)
>> 00:0b.1 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1420 Cardbus
>> Controller (rev 01)
>> 00:0f.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev
>> 03) 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
>> Mobility U1
>>
>> THT
>
>At least you are able to change back to X and run KDE. With a
> similar card type. I can change from GNOME to a terminal, use the
> terminal. My problem happens when I change back to the GUI, the
> upper portion of the screen has residual information. The residual
> display takes up about the same screen real estate as is occupied
> by the upper GNOME panel. I need to power off uncleanly in order to
> escape the resulting lockup.
>
>I run in runlevel 3. Are you starting in graphics mode or to initial
>terminals? My question is mainly so I can figure which component is
> most likely causing the malfunction. With you running KDE and
> having locked terminals, but could return to KDE and I can exit
> from Gnome to terminal, but not return successfully to the GUI are
> sort of opposite symptoms for users of similar video cards.
>
>I don't have the problem with totem though as you described.

> [...]

Generally speaking, such problems have been brought about here by
using the wrong framebuffer when I built the kernel.  I suspect thats
the problem here also. Since its an ati, although not the same as
mine, here are the 'FB' options from my working kernel .config for
2.6.11-rc5:

CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m
CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y

Now, as to the actual correctness, damnedifiknow.  But its been
working here for about a year with no glitches when I switch in and
out of X.  X is currently the 6.8.1 release from x.org, locally built
and has been bulletproof so far.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)