Missing cdrom

Eugene Poole etpoole at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 27 03:28:28 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

<>> As others have said, this doesn't necessarily work!

 > The problem was getting your CD-ROM to work.

 > I asked:

> > Can you do a
> > ls -l /dev | grep hdd
<>
 > and Gene replied:

> > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 64 Feb 22 01:31 hdd
<>
 > Right. Looks like the Linux kernel has detected that there is a drive
 > there, but udev hasn't made a cdrom symlink. That shouldn't be a
 > problem: I'll put a few trouble-shooting notes later.

 > Gene said:

> > Below are the messages extracted from dmesg:
<>> <snip>

 >> And then further down:
> >
> > hdd: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
> > Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

> Good.

> Do I understand that you have neither a /media/cdrom mountpoint or a
> /mnt/cdrom mountpoint? (A "mountpoint" just being a directory).

Yes, I do have a /media/cdrom

> Can you take a look in /media and in /mnt and work out where your other
> mount points for removable devices are? I suspect that they'll still be
> in /mnt (since this is an update in place).

I looked and both floppies are there also.

> Unless you *want* to move them to /media, do a
> mkdir /mnt/cdrom
> (as root), then try
> mount -o ro /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom
> Does that work? If not, do you get any error messages? Anything in
> /var/log/messages?

That worked, but only after I put media in the drive.

> If that works, can you check for a /dev/hdd line or a /dev/cdrom line in
> /etc/fstab. If none exist, something like this should work:
> /dev/hdd    /mnt/cdrom     auto    noauto,users             0 0

I looked that and it looks very similar, with additional parameters.

> You would then have to mount and unmount the CD-ROM, but should be able
> to do this from a normal user's command prompt. You may find this Good
> Enough: it's the traditional Unix approach.

A 'normal' user can't mount the cdrom.  I get a message that only root can mount using device /dev/hdd.

> Troubleshooting udev: what do you have in /etc/udev/rules.d?

> Do you have these three lines in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules:

> # do not seperate the next 2 lines!!
> KERNEL="hd[a-z]",  BUS="ide", SYSFS{removable}="1", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/ide-media.sh %k", RESULT="floppy", SYMLINK="floppy%e", > NAME{all_partitions}="%k", NOREMOVE="1"
> KERNEL="hd[a-z]", BUS="ide", SYSFS{removable}="1", RESULT="cdrom", SYMLINK="cdrom%e"

> James.

I did not have any of those three lines, but I added them and re-booted.  All seems well now (event if a normal user can't mount).  This is my everyday desktop so I can su anytime to do a mount.  I'm happy!

Gene
etpoole at adelphia.net