saslauthd

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Feb 27 05:31:49 UTC 2005

Just free thinking and I haven't played around with it enough...

Fedora 3 - cyrus-sasl is compiled with ldap but RHEL 3 isn't - not a big
deal but it seems hardly worth the effort for the moment. What this
means is that on FC-3, I can set the MECH to ldap but not on RHEL 3.

But it seems to work anyway on RHEL 3 - when the MECH is set to shadow
and I am guessing that the reason for this is nsswitch.conf which
contains:

shadow:     files ldap

so compiling cyrus-sasl doesn't seem to be needed.

But if I had a user that didn't exist in /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow or in
my ldap DSA, and I didn't want that user to be a system user at all -
thus, the user only existed in sasldb, how would I set it up?  (I know
how to add users to sasldb)

Can I have multiple mechanisms in saslauthd?

Can I have a sasldb for 'shadow:' in nsswitch.conf?

Is it slower to have saslauthd use 'shadow' as the MECH and have shadow
use ldap from nsswitch.conf?

I guess I'm fishing to see if someone knows what would be the best
method.

Craig