File Types and Programs

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 05:43:20 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 20:28 -0500, David Curry wrote
>
>>Steve, I don't know about FC3 but in FC2 one can set the default icon
>>for file types as follows.
>>
>>Red Hat icon --> Preferences --> File types and programs -->  "highlight
>>file class" --> "highlight subclass" --> edit --> icon
>>
>>This was a by product of explorations earlier today while trying to
>>figure how to use the desktop icon placed on my desktop by the TurboTax
>>installation program I ran under wine.
>>

> <>David,
>
> I have been wanting to try turbotax on my Linux box.
> How did the install go? and does it work?
>
> You can send me a how-to offline if you want.

Thus far, I haven't had any success in running TurboTax or another tax
program called TaxACT.
Wine is working well enough to run the installation  .exes for both tax
packages, but then can't find the installed executables.  I haven't been
bright enough to figure out whether the difficulty lies in my wine setup
or is due to embedded white spaces in directory and program file names
used by the tax packages.  If the latter, maybe it can be solved through
definition of some soft links (I'm guessing here since I just recently
learned what a soft link is ;-) ).

Another person on the list, though, reported earlier that they were
successful in running TurboTax through wine without any difficulty.
There are three   known differences in our respective attempts.  First,
he is more knowledgeable about linux, wine, etc. than I am.  He is
running FC3 (I think) where I am running FC2. And, I downloaded the
winetools rpm and installed it where he used the tar.gz file to install
winetools.