Black Screen After YUM Update Revisited:

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Mon Feb 28 04:50:23 UTC 2005

Hacksaw wrote:

>>>Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>>>
>>>Fatal server error:
>>>could not open default font 'fixed'
>>>

>>This is a big problem. X doesn't like to do anything without "fixed". It
>>

>pines
>

>>for it's little bitmap buddy.
>>
>>Is xfs actually running on your machine? No xfs, no fixed, no X.
>>
>>And did anyone else have their xfs start up script in /etc/init.d get toasted?
>>

>I should elaborate a little for those who might not know:
>
>The
>
>FontPath     "unix/:7100"
>
>line of the xorg.conf (or an XFree86.conf) is saying "please look here and
>expect to find a font server at the other end of this socket."
>
>xfs, as well as being the name of a filesystem donated to Linux by sgi, is the
>"X Font Server". And unfortunate name collision. Fortunate smirks, though, one
>is a device driver, and the other a daemon.
>
>If that line is the only Fontpath line you have, you are saying "I have no
>fonts of use locally, get them all from the socket. This is not unreasonable
>idea, since it makes your font management slightly easier, and you can have
>the daemon take care of all manner of silliness for you.
>
>But the daemon must be running, or X gets grumpy.
>
>If your xfs server is configure and ready to go, and your init.d script hasn't
>miraculously turned into a small pile of cream cheese 0 sized file, then you
>may start the daemon by issuing the command as root:
>
>service xfs start
>
>It should say something like:
>
>Starting X Font Server:                   [OK]
>
>If it doesn't you have other problems.

Hi All,

ok, but, I'm not getting a chance to sign in, at all, unless I've set
telinit 3 at the end of the kernel argument. BTW, shouldn't xfs be
starting by default at boot up.? Appreciate you giving me the info to
steer me further ahead, just, well, I'm still kinda outa my depth, I
guess. Sorry for being a pain, guys. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.