Black Screen After YUM Update Revisited:

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Feb 27 14:49:50 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 23:50 -0500, Mark Sargent wrote:
> ok, but, I'm not getting a chance to sign in, at all, unless I've set
> telinit 3 at the end of the kernel argument. BTW, shouldn't xfs be
> starting by default at boot up.? Appreciate you giving me the info to
> steer me further ahead, just, well, I'm still kinda outa my depth, I
> guess. Sorry for being a pain, guys. Cheers.

Is xfs running?

$ ps uax | grep xfs

If not, start it manually:

# service xfs start
# ps uax | grep xfs

If it's still not running, you need to find out why

Check if xfs is set to start up at boot time

# chkconfig xfs --list

(the numbers refer to runlevels - it should be on for runlevels 2 to 5)

If not, make it so:

# chkconfig xfs on
# chkconfig xfs --list

If it's running, you should be able to start X.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>