Black Screen After YUM Update Revisited:

Ian Miller fedora at thetasig.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Feb 27 15:01:28 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:50:23PM -0500, Mark Sargent wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> ok, but, I'm not getting a chance to sign in, at all, unless I've set
> telinit 3 at the end of the kernel argument. BTW, shouldn't xfs be
> starting by default at boot up.? Appreciate you giving me the info to
> steer me further ahead, just, well, I'm still kinda outa my depth, I
> guess. Sorry for being a pain, guys. Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

Mark, have you tried this: go into the directories /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/*
and chmod 644 all the font* files.

In tcsh (sorry, don't know bash too well at the moment):

cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
foreach d (*)
chmod 644 $d/font*
end

That worked for me when I had the same problem. It seems that one of
the fonts.dir files is not by default world readable and so cannot be
read by the X server. I don't know why this should be the case though!

cheers,
ian