nVidia or ATI?

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Sun Feb 27 16:15:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:59:13AM -0600, Steven Stern wrote:

> I see post after post about issues with nVidia cards.  Is this still an
> issue with FC3?

Well then you have probably not been looking very hard.
I see just as many 'issues' with Ati cards.

Both companies make good to excellent graphics cards depending on
what you use/need them for.

If you do not need the very latest cards (you are not a gamer or
graphics professional) and only need 2D the drivers in xorg-x11
might be adequate for your needs (Ati AND nVidia).
No adequate drivers might be available for the very latest cards.

If you do need 3D then you have to install binary only drivers
(Ati AND nVidia). Again no drivers might be available for the
very latest cards.

If you do not mind using "old" hardware you can still get Ati
cards for which the 'open source' drivers in xorg-x11 deliver
both 2D and 3D.

If you do not need 3D and do not mind using slightly 'older'
hardware the Matrox cards are also excellent and drivers
are contained in xorg-x11.

All pc's and laptops I use contain nVidia cards and I have never
had any serious problems.

Alexander