Rhythmbox hang? while loading music library

John Best jbest at insightbb.com
Sun Feb 27 18:21:35 UTC 2005

Hello..
(Sorry if this shows up twice... Thought my security cert might cause a
problem)

I am using Rhythmbox 0.8.5 with fedora core 3.   I have been having
difficulties while loading a music library... I select File->Import
Location   and browse to the location of my music files and click ok.
It appears to start reading the files and the "LOADING SONGS" progress
bar appears.. But that is it... I have left it running all night and
into the next day with no change...

If I browse to the location of an individual album/group of songs, it
seems to work fine and relatively quickly, but when I try to do the
whole library at once... It never seems to end or make any progress...No
New songs/artists appear...

Anyone experience this behavior and know of a possible work around?
Thought is it might have something to do with long file names, special
chars etc.. (The library was pulled/copied from windows - actually it
resides on a shared FAT partition between xp and linux)

(OR MAYBE THERE IS A BETTER OPTION? - tried xmms but the library
management & GUI is poor...)

Thanks for any assistance

John Best
jbest at insightbb.com