Rhythmbox hang? while loading music library

Dexter Ang thepoch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:39:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:21:35 -0600, John Best <jbest at insightbb.com> wrote:
> Hello..
>
> I am using Rhythmbox 0.8.5 with fedora core 3.   I have been having

First of all... I have rhythmbox 0.8.8 on my FC3 install. How did you get 0.8.5?

> difficulties while loading a music library... I select File->Import
> Location   and browse to the location of my music files and click ok.
> It appears to start reading the files and the "LOADING SONGS" progress
> bar appears.. But that is it... I have left it running all night and
> into the next day with no change...

Could you possibly run this from the command line and see if there are
any error messages?

> If I browse to the location of an individual album/group of songs, it
> seems to work fine and relatively quickly, but when I try to do the
> whole library at once... It never seems to end or make any progress...No
> New songs/artists appear...

Exactly how many songs are we talking about? You might want to search
around the web and lists for performance problems with plenty of
songs. I have no experience in this regard as I only have less than
1gb and mostly listen to streaming music.

> Anyone experience this behavior and know of a possible work around?
> Thought is it might have something to do with long file names, special
> chars etc.. (The library was pulled/copied from windows - actually it
> resides on a shared FAT partition between xp and linux)
>
> (OR MAYBE THERE IS A BETTER OPTION? - tried xmms but the library
> management & GUI is poor...)

There's beep media player on the livna repo. But that's just xmms with
gtk2. I think there's this thing called muine, but you'd need to go
through mono installations to get that working. How about mpg321? =)

> Thanks for any assistance

dex