FC3 default X fontconfig

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:41:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:22:11 +0000, Ian Miller
<fedora at thetasig.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:14:09AM -0500, P Jones wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ian;
> >
> > Just yesterday I posted a very similar question. I would like to
> > change my system wide fonts to the Vera fonts, since I've been having
> > unsatisfactory display issues with the Luxi fonts in FC3, which I
> > believe are the default system fonts. Sans is Luxi Sans, Sans Serif is
> > Luxi Sans Serif, I think.
> >
> > To possibly confirm this, after your xorg upgrade, do you still have
> > the Luxi fonts installed?
> >

> yes - the upgrade didn't affect the installed fonts - just which ones
> are used as defaults
>
> i think this might answer your question:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg02753.html
>
> cheers,
> ian

Ian;

It looks like the thread above is what I'm looking for. Right now my
local.conf makes no reference to Luxi fonts. Looking at my
/etc/fonts.config file, I notice that the Vera fonts are listed first,
in the Sans, Sans Serif, and Mono sections, so where is the config
file that makes the system use the Luxi fonts (assuming I'm right that
they are the system defaults) even though they are lower in the list?
And if the font list is not read from top to bottom, how is it read?
I'll take a look at another distribution to see what the differences
are, maybe that will help.

Here is the thread I started the other day. I'd be interested to know
if you've noticed any of the same issues.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-February/msg07075.html

Thanks,

-P