window size in FC2

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 20:38:43 UTC 2005

beartooth wrote:

>I've just installed FC2 from CDs, upgrading FC1, on a 1998 p2 with 350
>MHz, 393MB RAM, two hard drives 20GB and 30GB. Two of my applications have
>sizes which I can't get to fit my screens. (I use everything in the
>intermediate size, whatever it's called, neither max nor min; that little
>bit ob desktop background peeking around the edges helps me keep track
>which machine I'm on.) Pan insists on being so wide I can't get to the
>scrolling tools on both sides without shifting the whole window back and
>forth. The Preferences window for Konqueror (which I run under Gnome, not
>in KDE) insists on being so tall that I can't get to the buttons at the
>bottom at all, and thus can't tweak Konqueror -- rendering it unusable.
>
>This problem has turned up repeatedly with these apps under successive
>OSs, both upgraded and clean-installed, and has always eventually gone
>away. How do you *make* it go away?
>
>The CDs were newly downloaded, in case that matters; I ran both yum update
>and up2date, first on yum and on up2date themselves, then against
>everything, till both reported nothing new to update. Ran updatedb and rpm
>--rebuilddb, and ran both again. I keep the up2date icon on a panel, and
>have nightly yum update enabled under Sessions. It seems as if by now this
>hassle oughtta remove itself ....
>
>Oh, one more hardware note: I'm using a BenQ FP767 monitor, behind a KVM
>switch on both the FC2 machine and two others; but the same problem
>appeared with RH9 or FC1 at first, when I had never heard of BenQ nor KVM
>switches; so surely it *shouldn't* be either ...

This may be a case of blind trying to lead the blind, but it sounds like
a screen display resolution (or font dpi) issue.  Is your system
currently set to use something like 640 X 800 screen resolution?

If so, you might try Red Hat -> System Settings -> Display -> and
increase your resolution settings to something higher.