Info on Compact Flash Card Readers?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:58:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:42:46 -0600, Jess Anderson <anderson at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Wanted: info/testimonials/stories of woe on USB card readers
>         (with or without capabilities for other formats)
>
> I'm considering a high-end digital camera (Nikon D70). It
> uses Compact Flash memory cards. If I do this, I will need
> a USB-connected card reader.
>
> The issue is support for the reader (and the card) under
> Fedora Core (currently FC3).
>
> Am I in luck or out of luck?

I have a Canon A70 that uses a Compact Flash card, and the camera
itself can be connected to the computer with a USB cable.  Fedora
recognizes the camera with no problems and I can use gthumb to import
pictures from the camera.  It appears that you can select the Nikon
DSC D70, so you can probably use that method as well if you wanted.  I
have a USB multi-card reader that mounts in a 3.5" bay for my desktop
that I believe works in Linux.  I think as long as you get a decent
USB reader (Lexar or Sandisk or another name-brand), you should
probably be okay.

Jonathan