upgrade problem

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Feb 28 02:45:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 09:12 +0000, James Thorpe wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm (still) trying to upgrade from FC1 to FC3.  On friday night I left
> it updating (yum upgrade, after installing the kernel for FC2, and
> removing the 2.4 kernel - https://www.olen.net/node/194), but when I got
> back to it on saturday morning, my vnc session had locked up - I could
> reconnect to it but the screen was still frozen, though I could still
> SSH in.  I left it like that all day saturday, just in case it was still
> doing something... This morning I decided I'd had enough of that, and
> (in hindsight this probably wasn't the best move...) issued the reboot
> command.

A bit late, but for a yum upgrade, FC1 -> FC2 -> FC3 would have had a
better chance of working.  The following thread may be of interest -
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2004-
November/011421.html

as well as this link
http://www.brandonhutchinson.com/Upgrading_Red_Hat_Linux_with_yum.html

> During booting it now stops when it gets to "Freeing unused kernel
> memory", although it's not locked up completely coz when I hit
> ctrl-alt-del it still shows the rebooting messages.
>
> Any ideas on where to go from here?  reinstall? :o)

Best bet would have been an anaconda upgrade, which MIGHT still bail you
out.

Good Luck,
Phil