Need to download complete binaries and documentation

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 01:57:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:50:59PM -0800, Matt Beals wrote:

> I can't, no PC at home to use. Just my Apple PowerBook G4, and there is no
> system I can take out of the prison or into the prison.

With an Apple you can download and burn the ISO images to install SW
on the machine.  You can also mount the ISO images to see the
individual files.  All the interesting manuals are on the WEB
so do not get too distracted that the Apple is 'different' at home.

You have 64 bit capable box, but,  you do not have to load a 64
bit version of linux.  The 32 bit version is fine for teaching and
an upgrade is possible if you need it later.

FWIW...You can look at the mirror list with an apple
or a windows browser....

http://fedora.redhat.com/download/updates.html

   http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/

Then you can figure out what $releasever is.

  http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever

Pick one mirror and use your browser to download updates.  put them in
a dir on you apple and burn a CDROM/DVD.  You will see ALL the updates
in a single place should you want them.  You are associated with a
'school' the admin types can help you with finding a local rsync site.

Since you are inside an interesting place (school) expect and plan
to wipe and reload the system on occasion.   Teachers do this
on the outside too so just do it each time a 'cycle/semester'
spins by.

You did not say what OS you had on the Apple but there is no reason
that you cannot compile rpm or rpm2cpio to open up rpm packages
and extract individual files and sources so you can look at
HTML or PDF documentation.

In a teaching situation like this the four Fedora Core 3 CDROMs (or
single DVD) are all you need to get started.  Do not worry about
updates yet.   You can collect them later.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)