IP address variable

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 06:29:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 05:59:35PM -0500, John Miller wrote:

> No.  That's an inference that you own.
>
> >I dare say that DNS is the defacto name resolver database today,
>
> I agree completely, but...
>
> >and
> >that almost no one uses hosts to provide anything past resolving
> >localhost
>
> ...if you are unable to think of any 2005 scenarios in which it would be
> good to have a few entries in /etc/hosts, you might want to think on it
> a bit more.

I keep a LONG list of hosts in my /etc/hosts.
Most are commented out.

I have all my ISP's name servers (that I could find) and many other
hosts like my mail server and work ssh gateway hosts.  DHCP from major
ISP's seem to be spot on with the DHCP hints lately but that was not always so.
Once in a blue moon or two I check and refresh them.

What we need to avoid is authority collisions. Do not have
them in two places where a stale local answer can stop you.

Like I said commented out but handy.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new place to hang my hat :-)