Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Mon Feb 28 09:40:18 UTC 2005

I've gone through most of the posts on this and would like to submit
draft 2 based on many of the comments - at least the ones who think
this is worth doing at all... Please read it through and ammend/
correct / reorganise as you see fit.

If you wish to suggest minor changes do so by reposting but applying
your own name. For major changes please change the draft number. That
way we can see what's happening and the archive will document our
progress (or lack thereof).

Or, does someone have a wiki we could develop this on - posting
periodically back to the list?

I have...
a. Tried to simplify the language for non-native english speakers.
b. Tried to seperate the points more
c. Added some links where relevant
d. Tried to take accusatory language out (we can see on this thread
that some peope are _very_ sensative)
e. gone for the boring name modeled on the RHIL
f. I've removed the reference to signatures. So seldom a problem it
doesn't seem worth the agrivation.
g. hereby aknowledged the good work of James McKenzie in starting
this. But he says he's left now - hope he comes back.
x. Added a whole new section two: "The ten most useful resources for
finding the answer before asking the list."

I hope this is helpful.

Duncan
(accepting all comment and criticism but ignoring all flames)

################

Part One: Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide
Part Two: The ten most useful resources for finding the answer before
asking the list.

=======
Part One:
Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide
=======

Introduction: We are all regular member of the list and discussion
about netequitte is ongoing. Previously established conventions are
always being re-questions. So, please read this in the spirit of
creating an evolving concensus. This guide is in the spirit of the
"RedHat Install List (RHIL) Unofficial User's Guide" [1] and "How To
Ask Questions The Smart Way" [2]

4.  Search for the answer before posting a question. See part two.
(Why? You'll learn more and might just fix it yourself. )

2.  Set your mailer to send only plain text messages to the list [3].
(Why? HTML is designed for web pages not emails, and uses a lot more
bandwidth. Many list members actually block HTML because it is used
for malicious code. [4] )

3. Make a subject line that tells us what you need. Try "Can't get
past partitioning on FC3" instead of "Argg - help me!!!". Why? So
that the right people read it.

4. Make sure we can tell what you are replying to. Place each part of
your reply after the text it addresses and delete unneeded text. Most
mail readers put a '>' character in front of each replied to line.
(Why? It gives a conversational flow to the text, and people know
what you're replying to.)

5.  To unsubscibe from the list you can visit the Fedora Mail List web
page at http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

[1] http://www.rhil.net/docs/rhil-guide.html
[2] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[3] http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
[4] http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml

======
Part Two:
The ten most useful resources for finding the answer before asking
fedora-list.
======

1. Run the 'man' command. Get a terminal window by right clicking on
the desktop. In the window type (without the '$')
$ man <application-name>
Substitute <application-name> with the name of the application you are
having trouble with.

2. Search the fedora-list archive

3. Search http://google.com and http://google.com/linux

4. Look through the Linux Documentation Project http://www.tldp.org/

5. Read the Fedora Core Release Notes
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

6. Look through The Unofficial Fedora FAQ: http://www.fedorafaq.org/
7.
8.
9.
10.

--
Linux user #372812: more stable and cheaper than windows
GnuPG Public Key ID: 0x2BB9667C21A8C63A: protecting your security