I run a KDE (w/kmail) desktop why am I running evolution?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 13:11:45 UTC 2005

Jim Ramsey wrote:
> I find these two programs running.
>  /usr/libexec/evolution/2.0/evolution-alarm-notify
>  /usr/libexec/evolution-data-server-1.0
> I don't know why they're running and I can't find a way to
> keep them from running.

rpm -qi evolution-data-server says:
# The evolution-data-server package provides a unified backend for
# programs that work with contacts, tasks, and calendar information.
#
# It was originally developed for Evolution (hence the name), but is now
# used by other packages.

You can run
rpm -e --test evolution-data-server
to see which RPMs depend on it. On my system, they include OpenOffice,
Evolution, and gnome-panel.

(On a multi-lib Fedora like x86-64, you may need to specify both
rpm -e --test evolution-data-server.x86-64 and
rpm -e --test evolution-data-server.i386).

$ rpm -qf /usr/libexec/evolution/2.0/evolution-alarm-notify
evolution-2.0.2-3

If you're not actually using evolution, why not just remove the RPM?

Hope this helps,

James.
--
James Wilkinson       | It is difficult to produce a television documentary
Exeter    Devon    UK | that is both incisive and probing when every twelve