Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Feb 28 14:15:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:40:18AM +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> I've gone through most of the posts on this and would like to submit
> draft 2 based on many of the comments - at least the ones who think
> this is worth doing at all... Please read it through and ammend/
> correct / reorganise as you see fit.

Good re-write, thank you.

I think some of the objection to "The Rules" is that the objectors see
them as arbitrary. They are not arbitrary, but have good reasons
behind them. Your "Why" sections help bring out those reasons.

From reading the foofaraw Mr. McKenzie's original post generated, I
suspect that it is worthwile to mention that one advantage to
following netiquette is that you are more likely to get your question
answered if you do.

You may also find useful http://www.charlescurley.com/netiquette.html.

> 3. Make a subject line that tells us what you need. Try "Can't get
> past partitioning on FC3" instead of "Argg - help me!!!". Why? So
> that the right people read it.

On medium and high traffic lists (such as this one), many people
decide whether to read a message solely on the subject line. This is
not obvious to people who are new to mailing lists.

> 4. Make sure we can tell what you are replying to. Place each part of
> your reply after the text it addresses and delete unneeded text. Most
> mail readers put a '>' character in front of each replied to line.
> (Why? It gives a conversational flow to the text, and people know
> what you're replying to.)

4.5. Trim irrelevant material. Why? It makes it eaier to read your
     reply and helps the reader to stay on subject.