migrating 2.4->2.6 & binutils

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 28 14:55:51 UTC 2005

Douglas Frank wrote:
> I'm migrating an RH9 laptop to the 2.6 kernel and I have a question re.
> making binutils.   I want 'make install' to overwrite the old 2.13 bits
> with the new 2.15 stuff, right?  And to do that, I need to 'configure --
> prefix=/usr', right?
>
> ...just looking for the warm fuzzies that I'm on the right track, or a
> dope slap otherwise.

I'd try to avoid using non-RPM-installed programs, especially under
/usr, if I was you.

Try downloading the latest development binutils SRPM
(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/SRPMS/binutils-2.15.94.0.2-1.src.rpm)
and building that on your system. If it works, you'll get a binary RPM
that you can install (and uninstall, if necessary).

# rpmbuild --rebuild binutils-2.15.94.0.2-1.src.rpm

Paul.