Midi files and Firefox

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Feb 28 14:58:25 UTC 2005

On or about 2005-02-27 19:07, Jeff Vian whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 11:14 -0800, Richard E Miles wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:25:54 -0700
>>Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

>>>----
>>>Methinks that the cfg is a waste of time - it's probably generated by
>>>your install...
>>>

>>The timidity.cfg file is at /etc/timidity.cfg
>>Do a man 5 timidity.cfg to see what it contains.
>>

>Actually it did not get put there (or anywhere else) by
>compiling/installing from the tar ball.
>
>I searched rpmfind.net and was able to locate an RPM (for Suse 9.1 but
>it works well for FC3) and install that.  It put the needed cfg file
>at /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg so now the files can be played
>locally.
>
>Now all I need is the means to make firefox play the midi files....

OK, I suspect this is your problem:  FF as installed has a plugin to
handle midi files, and it is enabled.  This means that if the plugin
doesn't actually play the file, then you have to get FF to use a
"helper" app.  To do this, click Edit->Preferences->Downloads.  Click on
the button that says Plugins and UN-check the midi plugin.  You will
then be able to add a helper app that points to timidity or whatever.

--
Fritz Whittington
Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)