FC2 -> FC3 Upgrade on Toshiba Tecra 8100 Causes All PCM Sounds to be Scratchy - Workaround?

Ian Wallace iwallace at eforceglobal.com
Mon Feb 28 16:03:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 12:03 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ian Wallace wrote:
> > Hello everyone.  I've just recently upgraded my FC2 laptop to FC3 and to
> > my dismay the PCM playback (xine, xmms, aplay) all produce staticy
> > sounds.  I've googled on the subject and tried the following to correct
> > it:
> >
> > (As an aside sound in FC2 was spotty on this same machine ... however
> > during it's life time, and several kernels the sound did work at one
> > point, it always worked on FC1).
> >
> > *) Made sure that my volumes aren't muted etc.  I hear the sound, it's
> > just horrid.
>
> Um. I don't have your hardware, but I suspect you've got something
> digital going down the wires that connect to your speakers.
>
> Play something, and one by one mute everything that *doesn't* get rid of
> the music. When the noise goes, you've found your culprit...
>
> James.

I tried this, to no avail.  Here's what I did.

1) Fired up FC 3 and logged into KDE.
2) Kicked off xmms with the KDE_Desktop1.wav (staticy noise can be heard
from the speakers, I have it on repeat so it just keeps going).
3) I opened KMix at first and tried to adjust things.  The only two
controls that have any effect were PCM and Main Volume.
4) I then opened alsamixer and scrolled to the very far right.  And
reduced *everything* or muted it (if I could) moving back to the left.
Nothing effects the sound until I get to WAV, PCM, and Main Volume.
Every other control is at zero or muted.

Seems that the Toshiba's just don't want to play nicely with the sound
control stuff I guess.  I find it fascinating that in one of the FC2
kernels (I upgraded with yum) it started to work.  Needless to say I was
shocked, but at the next kernel upgrade it stopped working.

Thanks for the help.

cheers
ian