Refresh Rate Problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 28 17:40:50 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:
> Ahmed Abdel-Aliem wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:15:01 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>> wrote:

>>> What is the make and model of your monitor?
>>>
>>> Do you know what the horizontal and vertical sync frequencies are that
>>> it supports (this information should be in the monitor manual)?
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>>

>> My Monitor is LG Studiowords 710E 17"
>> i can't find the manual now, but it supports up to 90 and 100 Hz cause
>> i use this refresh rate in  windows it works fine with no problems
>>

> You might be able to find the monitor specs online through a google search.

I found one here:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.amx.com.br/_model1/produto.asp%3Fproduto%3DLG_02%26emp%3DISICONECTION&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Studioworks%2B710E%2522%2Bhorizontal%2Bsync%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG

However, the information there appears to contradict itself.

It says the horizontal frequency range is 30-70 KHz and the vertical
frequency range is 50-160 Hz (which appear to be very similar to the the
auto-detected specs in the xorg.conf file above), and that the monitor
is capable of 1280x1024 at 85Hz.

If you go to http://www.sh.nu/nvidia/gtf.php (modeline calculator) and
plug in 1280x1024 at 85 Hz refresh rate, you get a required horizontal
sync frequency of over 91 KHz, which is well above the published
specification. So something is definitely wrong.

If you are absolutely sure that the monitor can do this resolution, you
could change the "HorizSync 30.0 - 71.0" to "HorizSync 30.0 - 92.0" in
your xorg.conf and that should allow a higher refresh rate. However, if
you monitor does not support this rate, it could be damaged, so beware.

Paul.