migrating 2.4->2.6 & binutils

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 17:57:44 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> I'd try to avoid using non-RPM-installed programs, especially under
> /usr, if I was you.

Good advice.

> Try downloading the latest development binutils SRPM

Why development? Clearly the FC2 and the FC3 binutils are Good Enough to
run 2.6, and I seem to remember that FC1 came with everything needed to
run 2.6, too.

Released packages are supposed to work (and you're supposed to be very
surprised when they don't work). Development ones are supposed to trash
installs (and you're supposed to be pleasantly surprised when they
don't!)

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | +------------- Information -----------------+
Exeter    Devon    UK | | Killed user #23. Please inform the morgue |