migrating 2.4->2.6 & binutils

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Feb 28 18:03:17 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Douglas Frank wrote:
>
>>I'm migrating an RH9 laptop to the 2.6 kernel and I have a question re.
>>making binutils.   I want 'make install' to overwrite the old 2.13 bits
>>with the new 2.15 stuff, right?  And to do that, I need to 'configure --
>>prefix=/usr', right?
>

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>>I'd try to avoid using non-RPM-installed programs, especially under
>>/usr, if I was you.
>

> Good advice.
>

>>Try downloading the latest development binutils SRPM
>

> Why development? Clearly the FC2 and the FC3 binutils are Good Enough to
> run 2.6, and I seem to remember that FC1 came with everything needed to
> run 2.6, too.
>
> Released packages are supposed to work (and you're supposed to be very
> surprised when they don't work). Development ones are supposed to trash
> installs (and you're supposed to be pleasantly surprised when they
> don't!)

You're quite right of course. It's my habit to download the development
SRPM and compile it if I need something newer than what I'm currently
using, but since I usually keep up to date with Fedora releases, there
aren't any "released" updates that are newer than what I already have,
so "development" is usually the only option.

Paul.