Refresh Rate Problem

Ahmed Abdel-Aliem me2resh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:06:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:40:50 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> David Curry wrote:
> > Ahmed Abdel-Aliem wrote:

> >> My Monitor is LG Studiowords 710E 17"
> >> i can't find the manual now, but it supports up to 90 and 100 Hz cause
> >> i use this refresh rate in  windows it works fine with no problems
> >>

> > You might be able to find the monitor specs online through a google search.
>
> I found one here:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.amx.com.br/_model1/produto.asp%3Fproduto%3DLG_02%26emp%3DISICONECTION&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Studioworks%2B710E%2522%2Bhorizontal%2Bsync%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DG
>
> However, the information there appears to contradict itself.
>
> It says the horizontal frequency range is 30-70 KHz and the vertical
> frequency range is 50-160 Hz (which appear to be very similar to the the
> auto-detected specs in the xorg.conf file above), and that the monitor
> is capable of 1280x1024 at 85Hz.
>
> If you go to http://www.sh.nu/nvidia/gtf.php (modeline calculator) and
> plug in 1280x1024 at 85 Hz refresh rate, you get a required horizontal
> sync frequency of over 91 KHz, which is well above the published
> specification. So something is definitely wrong.
>
> If you are absolutely sure that the monitor can do this resolution, you
> could change the "HorizSync 30.0 - 71.0" to "HorizSync 30.0 - 92.0" in
> your xorg.conf and that should allow a higher refresh rate. However, if
> you monitor does not support this rate, it could be damaged, so beware.
>
> Paul.

i changed the values in the file and it didn't work, the monitor gave
me a warning and rebooted, so i booted to windows :( to send this
email,
is there a way i can modify the file again to the old value so i don't
have to install Fedora again !
i tried using the boot cd
choosed the rescue mode
and in the shell i found the folder etc
but inside it i couldn't find the folder x11 which has the file i modified

is there a way to do this ?

--
Ahmed Abdel-Aliem
Web Developer