Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide (draft 2 - Duncan Lithgow))

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:46:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:40:18 +0100, Duncan Lithgow
<duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> I've gone through most of the posts on this and would like to submit
> draft 2 based on many of the comments - at least the ones who think
> this is worth doing at all... Please read it through and ammend/
> correct / reorganise as you see fit.
>
> If you wish to suggest minor changes do so by reposting but applying
> your own name. For major changes please change the draft number. That
> way we can see what's happening and the archive will document our
> progress (or lack thereof).
>
> Or, does someone have a wiki we could develop this on - posting
> periodically back to the list?
>
> I have...
> a. Tried to simplify the language for non-native english speakers.
> b. Tried to seperate the points more
> c. Added some links where relevant
> d. Tried to take accusatory language out (we can see on this thread
> that some peope are _very_ sensative)
> e. gone for the boring name modeled on the RHIL
> f. I've removed the reference to signatures. So seldom a problem it
> doesn't seem worth the agrivation.
> g. hereby aknowledged the good work of James McKenzie in starting
> this. But he says he's left now - hope he comes back.
> x. Added a whole new section two: "The ten most useful resources for
> finding the answer before asking the list."
>
> I hope this is helpful.
>
> Duncan
> (accepting all comment and criticism but ignoring all flames)
>
> ################
>
> Part One: Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide
> Part Two: The ten most useful resources for finding the answer before
> asking the list.
>
> =======
> Part One:
> Fedora Core Support List Unofficial User's Guide
> =======
>
> Introduction: We are all regular member of the list and discussion
> about netequitte is ongoing. Previously established conventions are
> always being re-questions. So, please read this in the spirit of
> creating an evolving concensus. This guide is in the spirit of the
> "RedHat Install List (RHIL) Unofficial User's Guide" [1] and "How To
> Ask Questions The Smart Way" [2]
>
> 4.  Search for the answer before posting a question. See part two.
> (Why? You'll learn more and might just fix it yourself. )
>
> 2.  Set your mailer to send only plain text messages to the list [3].
> (Why? HTML is designed for web pages not emails, and uses a lot more
> bandwidth. Many list members actually block HTML because it is used
> for malicious code. [4] )

Duncan, this is great. I would like to put in a plug for one more
etiquette suggestion for section 2 of part one:

b) When you send in a new topic, do not start by replying to an
existing message, but rather, start a new message to
"fedora-list at redhat.com". This keeps messages organized by thread, for
people who like to use threads (on high-volume mailing lists like this
one, threads can be a great convenience).

I confess that I came to this discussion late, and maybe you have
already talked about this issue. It does come up frequently, however,
and probably deserves to be in the new-user guide.

Thanks,
Matt