Dual Boot, Grub, FC3-WinXpSP2, 2 drives. No go.

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Mon Feb 28 19:06:36 UTC 2005

Robert Locke wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 13:18 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
>

>>Hi;
>>I installed FC3 on a WinXP-sp2 system, whose c: drive was NOT being used
>>(for real), or so I thought. And gave the entire drive, hda, to FC3. I
>>reasoned that since my winXP booted into drive E:, the second drive,
>>hdb, Grub would have no issues with booting Windows. However, although
>>it boots FC3 nicely, when I elect to boot xp, it displays 'rootnoverify
>>(hd1,0) chainloader +1' and stops. Due to the partioning of hdb (as
>>listed below), I have tried hd1,1 as well, with the same results.
>>The hardware is as follows:
>>Dell Intel 1.6ghz, 768 meg ram, 2 hard drives, 20gig and 60gig.
>>Disk info:
>>hda:
>>hda1 1-33,     /boot, 259meg, ext3.
>>hda2 34-164 swap, 1 gig
>>hda3 165-2498, /, 18gig, ext3.
>>
>>hdb:
>>hdb1 1-3633, 28.4gig, fa32. (not mounted, or touched with Linux.)
>>hdb2 3634-7299,28.7gig, Extended. ( ditto)
>>hdb5 3634-7299,28.7gig,ntfs. (don't know why its listed twice. whatever.)
>>
>>The /boot/grub/grub.conf:
>># NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
>>#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
>>#          root (hd0,0)
>>#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
>>#          initrd /initrd-version.img
>>#boot=/dev/hda
>>default=0
>>timeout=5
>>splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>hiddenmenu
>>password --md5 blah
>>title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
>>    root (hd0,0)
>>    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>>    initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
>>title WinXP
>>    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
>>    chainloader +1
>>=========================
>>As noted above, I also tried     rootnoverify (hd1,0) .
>>
>>Thank you
>>-nat
>>

>You might want to try hdb1,4 on the rootnoverify line.

I get: Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by bios.

>My rationale is the idea that your machine was booting from drive "e".
>Also note that the fdisk output of hdb5 being the ntfs based partition
>while hdb1 is the FAT32.

The reason for this is that once upon a time, Win did in fact use drive
C: as its home drive, and the second drive was 'extra'. Then one day,
that install of win crashed and burned and cost me two weeks, (and I
switched to Linux on my other machine), so when I re-installed Win, I
used my second drive as the main guy, and just left drive C:, waiting
for Linux.... And here I am.

>By the way, the hd nomenclature is "drive number","partition number" and
>both start counting from zero.  So your first partition would be hd1,0
>the FAT partition and hd1,4 would be the ntfs partition.  hd1,1 does not
>actually hold any data, it is an artifact of decisions that MBR
>partition tables can only define four partitions.  So turn one in to an
>extended partition that can then be divvied up into additional logical
>partitions.

It's interesting that Grub automatically detected the second drive
(although the first one had been formatted).
I'm wondering if I need to make the ntfs partition 'bootable'. If so, where.
Thank you much.
-nat
ps. To Paul. Your suggestion is (as you say) last resort.  Hope I can
get it to boot into Win, even from cd, since FC will likely be the main
os on this machine as well. (My other machine, is FC3 only.)