New Firefox vs. Up2date

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 28 19:45:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:

> The Red Hat Network Notification Tool (KDE Applet) tells me correctly
> that there is a new version of Firefox available.  The version on the
> nachine is firefox-1.0-2.fc3.x86_64.rpm, while the latest version on the
> server is firefox-1.0.1-1.3.1.x86_64.rpm.  Nevertheless, up2date doesn't
> report the new version as available for installation.
>
> Does anyone know why this is?  Is the new firefox worth hand
> installation?

This is the issue with 'mirror-list' - i.e all mirrors don't have the
same files at any given instant.

And when up2date or yum is configured with a 'mirrorlist' - at each
invocation - it potentially checks a different mirror - hence
the info can be inconsistant.

Your alternatives are:

- wait a few hours so that most mirrors get this update
- try running up2date a few times - and hope one of these attempts gets
  to a more recent mirror
- Modify your mirrorlist to a better one (so that you don't go to the
  opposite end of the globe) - for eg: I use
  http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever.us.east
- Do not use mirrorlist - and just use a favourite mirror closeby. This
  way up2date is ALWAYS consistant across multiple invocations.

BTW: the mirrorlist setting for up2date can be changed by editing
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources as in:
yum-mirror updates-released-fc3 http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc3.us.east

You can check http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/ for a
complete mirror-list for up2date