New Firefox vs. Up2date

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 19:47:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:41:56 -0500 (EST), Scott G. Elliott
<sgelliot at mtu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > The Red Hat Network Notification Tool (KDE Applet) tells me correctly
> > that there is a new version of Firefox available.  The version on the
> > nachine is firefox-1.0-2.fc3.x86_64.rpm, while the latest version on the
> > server is firefox-1.0.1-1.3.1.x86_64.rpm.  Nevertheless, up2date doesn't
> > report the new version as available for installation.
> >
> > Does anyone know why this is?  Is the new firefox worth hand
> > installation?
> > --
> > Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
> > Berkeley Linux Team
>
> I have this on FC2 also, if you wait a while, it should be fine in
> up2date, my guess is that the headers are listed before the actual
> packages are made available, if it doesnt show up for real by the next
> day, then there might be a problem.
>
> -Scott

Actually, more likely is that the mirror that it is trying to get the
packages from does not have it yet.  The notification icon seems to
get info before some mirrors get the packages.  I suggest trying some
other mirrors, or just waiting a few days to see if it eventually gets
it.  Of course, it's not that much trouble to update manually (on one
machine that is) and the announce says there are security fixes in the
update, so it probably is worth doing.

Jonathan