System freeze ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 28 19:53:20 UTC 2005

Ted wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Ted wrote:
>>

> I find this is not specific to Fedora...I have tried several distros and
> all exhibit the same problem apart from Libranet..I cannot understand
> why Libranet should be ok yet others fail...I have been running the
> Mersenne prime prog plus seti and gkrellm shows 98% useage fro the last
> 8 hours and have no problems...As soon as I try to call up apps in kde
> or delete mail too quickly the system freezes completely...No response
> from k/board and need to hard reset....Am using FC/3 at the moment and
> although it does freeze it is about the best distro I have tried....

But again that could be related to a driver written by someone outside
fedora and just imported.  The issue is why is Libranet stable?  This
would be a good place to start looking.

Over the months, I have read so many people point to the NVidia driver
as the problem but I have heard about people having this problem with
ATI cards as well.  I cannot recreate the problem at work but I don't
have SATA, Athlon or NVidia either.

I can deal with one lockup a month, still much better than any windows
  box I have used, until June for FC4.  Then I will look at it much
closer.
--
Robin Laing