Problems burning DVD

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 28 21:40:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 21:43 +0100, Bernd Radinger wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:12:19 +0100, Gérard Milmeister <gemi at bluewin.ch> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just burned a couple of AVI-files to a DVD. This seemed to work fine.
> > I mounted the DVD afterwards, and played an AVI-file with mplayer. While
> > the video was ok, the sounds was completely noise.
Ok, here are my findings:
I have a Plextor PX-716A.
I upgraded to firmware version 1.04 using the pxupdate tool. Then I
noticed that writes resulted in random bytes being changed. I guessed
that the new firmware was responsible for this. Then I tried to revert
back to 1.03, which didn't work. Finally I figured out, that maybe I
switch off DMA with hdparm and, lo, I could downgrade the firmware. I
again wrote a DVD with DMA on, the same errors occurred, but with DMA
everything seems work correctly. Now, I think to remember that
previously I could burn without problems with DMA on. Any ideas?
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49