FC3 & cd annoyances

E GCP egcp at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 3 17:53:14 UTC 2005

Hi!

I just did a clean reinstall of FC3 after working very happily with RH9 for
a couple of years. Everything seems to work right now, except for a couple
of annoyances with respect to the CDRW.

The system is a Dell Latitude C840, with updated udev (039.10.FC3.6), hal
(0.4.2.1.FC3) and kernel (2.6.9.1.681_FC3). First of all, the CDs do not
automount. I did some research and this could be due to bug#138148 and the
hack to fix it in the latest hal. Yes, CDRW is hdb and hard disk hda.
However, music CDs (store-bought) don't play automatically either, even
though gnome-volume-properties is setup to do it. I thought music CDs were
not mounted. Would somebody confirm these as problems or bugs?

The other annoyance is when mounting CDs written with Windows XP (same
laptop, dual boot).  Using usermount sends the following error: "mount:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb, or too many mounted
file systems"

The corresponding fstab is as follows:
/dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Now, supposedly using "auto" as the type should recognize the CD as iso9660
as such and mount it without error, but it doesn't do it.

I can manually mount the CD with "mount -t iso9660" without errors and read
the files in there. My question is, why is "auto" not working in the fstab?
and how can I change the fstab option to iso9660 now that udev is used? Any
edits to fstab get reset after rebooting.

Thanks in advance for your help.
EGCP