upgrading mysql (and others) using yum or apt-get?

Jim jim at vxaxv.com
Wed Jan 5 01:35:00 UTC 2005

I have an fc3 machine that im trying to upgrade mysql (and other
packages too, but i'll start with just mysql).  I guess fc3 comes with
mysql 3.23 but i want to install the newest available (4.1).  When
trying to run yum to update this, it tells me the newest version (3.23)
is already installed.  apt-get tells me the same thing so i assume that
3.23 is the newest version in whatever repo im using.  Is there a way i
can force is to get a later version?  do i have to add another repo to
yum.conf?  Im new to this whole yum thing so any hints here would be
appreciated.  I could always go grab the rpms manually and install them
but im worried about dependency issues and the mixing of auto/manual
updating.

Thanks,

-Jim