qmail inclusion in official release of FC4?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jan 7 17:50:05 UTC 2005

Paul Rennix wrote:
> I know there must be some great reason to NOT include qmail + the common
> utilities that folks install along with qmail in the FC distro....
>
> just curious what it is..... and if there isn't some legality
> involved......
> why not put it in there?

DJB's license does not allow for distribution of patched versions of
qmail in binary format (e.g. RPMs). qmail needs patches to operate in
today's mail environment (e.g. to be able to reject rather than bounce
unknown users so that worm attacks don't result in backscatter to forged
sender addresses) so there's not much point in including it. Anyone that
wants it can easily get it in source form and build it themselves.

Paul.