Identical systems

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jan 8 04:06:57 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 20:27, Marc M wrote:
> If you only have a handful of machines with exactly identical
> hardware, you could probably swap out drives if you would prefer,
> especially if you have removable drive bays.  But really for anything
> more than about two or three installs, I strongly recommend a
> kickstart based install method.

But then you have to do updates to each new copy and add all of
your own setup.  With an image or file based copy you get a
copy will all changes after the install intact.  The ultimate
method is to build your own rpm repository, add all of your
own programs and config changes packaged as rpms.  Then you
can do a kickstart install against that and get a current
version and update any older installations against it with
yum, apt-get, or up2date.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com