Gnome & FC3 Desktop Questions

Joseph Green jgreen at 8x8.com
Wed Jan 12 22:46:20 UTC 2005

Hello,

I appologize if these questions have been asked before or if they have
simple answers that I should have been able to find on my own, but I've
done a bit of searching and I am unable to procure an answer. I'm fairly
new to Linux, though I used it a bit a few years ago, and I'm not
familiar with desktop managers. I've just recently installed a copy of
fedora core 3 onto a p3 650MHz box to use as a workstation at work,
running the Gnome desktop. My questions revolve around some simple
sounding issues that my boss has with this box, as he uses it as well.

When using the keyboard shortcut editor, there is an action under the
window management section for "Toggle Full Screen" and "Toggle
Maximization State". While there are Action items for "Maximize Window
Vertically" and "Maximize Window Horizontally" there are no toggles for
either of these (i.e. I can use <Control><1> to maximize the window
vertically, but I can not press <Control><1> to bring it back to it's
regular size). My question is, is there a way to make toggle buttons for
these actions? or do they already exist and I'm just not looking in the
right place?

My second question is, would it be possible to put a different
background image into each workspace? if so, how do I go about doing this?

Thank you all in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Regards,
Joseph