Lost printing with kernel upgrade

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 05:09:53 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 14.01.2005 schrieb Dick Roth um 3:01:
>

>>I just installed new kernel (2.6.10-1.8_FC2) via up2date and lost
>>printing.  Went back to 2.6.5-1.358 and printing returned.  Has this
>>happened to others?
>

>>Dick
>

> You will have to give some details about your printing setup, i.e. what
> kind of printer, which brand and model. In first line printing hasn't
> anything to do with the kernel.
> Did you install all latest updates for FC2, including the initscripts
> update?
>
> Alexander

Hi, Alexander.  I print using lpd/lpr to an HP 882 via a Netgear PS 104
Print Server.  I've been religious about running up2date regularly, but
it's been a while since I updated the kernel as you can see above.

My machine uses a Celeron 2.4GHz on an Intel D865PERL with dual nics and
is using Firestarter as firewall front end and NAT device.  My internal
net uses fixed IP addressing.  The only thing I changed tonight was the
kernel, and yes, I updated initscripts when the download became
available.  I can ping the print server, so I know there is basic
connectivity.  The system is using Gnome Print Manager 0.0.1 straight
from the default Gnome menu.  And that's about it!  Any ideas??

Thanks,
Dick

--
Pithy saying goes here:  (future).