writeprotection of unmounted mountpoints automaitcally - possible??

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Jan 14 12:18:58 UTC 2005

On 01/14/2005 12:30:29 AM, Alexander Raab wrote:
> Hi, all.
> Is there a possibility to set the permissons of ummounted mountpoints
> to writeprotected?
> I am coping files very often without checking if a usb-drive is
> really mounted.

In fc3 the mounting of the drive should be handled by hal, in which
case the mount point would be created when needed, and otherwise give
you a "directory don't exist, dude" type of error.

In fc1/2 (and with 3) you can do a similar things using autofs.

I'm not *positive* that hal removes the /media mountpoint when the
drive is unmounted, it doesn't with cd/dvd - but it should then still
give you a permission denied error.