Backing up several Windows machines to a Linux server

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Jan 23 10:24:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:49 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am faced with what *must* be a very common task: to make backups of
> user files on several Windows machines to the hard disk of a Linux
> server. So far I've only been responsible for backing up the servers,
> and rsync/rsnapshot plus mondo do a beautiful job of that.
>
> However, I am finding it a little difficult to find software that does
> this well. I do prefer to support open-source if at all possible, and I
> do prefer zero-cost as this is a small office; but I am able and willing
> to pay for software as long as the cost is reasonable.
>
> Here's what I've done so far:

(snip)

> 	3. Bacula (http://www.bacula.org) *looks* pretty complete, but it also
> looks pretty confusing and complex to set up. It also speaks of
> difficulties backing up Windows clients. Not very attractive at first
> sight... does anyone know if it gets easier/nicer later?

I use bacula at home (three Linux boxes and a Windows box). I'm very
happy with it. The Windows client runs as a service and the only
problems you're likely to have are with files opened by another process
(I think this is common to most, if not all, Windows backups apps). I
guess you've probably seem the Windows Compatibility section in the
manual (http://www.bacula.org/html-manual/node324.html) but if not, it's
certainly worth a look.

bacula looks complex but it's not too bad in practice. You just have to
get your head round the way it works:

* A "director" is the server controlling the backups, running the jobs
and looking after the database of backed-up files, media etc.

* Each client runs a "file daemon", which is triggered by the director
to grab all the files required for backup (full, differential and
incremental backups are supported) and sends the data to the director.

* There is also a "storage daemon", which runs on the machine with the
media writer (e.g. tape drive, bug hard disk, whatever). This may be a
different machine to the director if you wish. The backup data all gets
sent to the storage daemon, which is responsible for managing the media
volumes.

The way I run it is to have the storage daemon write volumes of around
580MB to a hard disk area. When I have 8 of these I write them to a DVD-
R manually. It's also possible to have CDs or DVDs written automatically
by the storage daemon but I'm happy with the way things are working and
so I've not bothered with that.

Bacula is the closest free software I've seen to the "enterprise class"
backup software I use at work (Legato Networker). Being able to easily
recover specific files from specific dates is great. It's a bit daunting
at first but once it's up and running it requires very little
maintenance and does its job admirably.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>