Interner configuration on FC3

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Jan 23 19:54:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 14:30, Analog Kid wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I use FC3 both at work and at home. At work I have a STATIC IP
>> address and at home I have a DYNAMIC IP (DHCP) internet connection.
>>
>>   Everyday when I reach work (or get back home) I edit the
>> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" file in order to change
>> from DHCP to static IP (or vice versa) after I start FC3 and then
>> restart the system for the new network settings to take effect.
>>
>>   Is there a command I can run to restart the network detection
>> process without rebooting once I edit the ifcfg-eth0 file?
>
> You can try the following:
>
> /sbin/service network restart
>
> or
>
> /sbin/ifdown eth0
> /sbin/ifup eth0

Also check out "Applications -> System Tools -> Network Device Control"
and "Applications -> System Settings -> Network".  This is a perfect
application for network profiles.  There's a good intro at
www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/network_profiles.shtml.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences